Urethral Cancer Treatment in Chandler, Gilbert & Phoenix, AZ
The urethra, part of the urinary tract system, is a hollow tube that carries the urine from the bladder to the outside of the body. Urethral Cancer is cancer in the tissues of the urethra.
What is urethral cancer?
Urethral Cancer is cancer in the tissues of the urethra. It is the rarest urologic cancer. It happens more often in men than women.
There are different types of urethral cancer.
- Squamous cell carcinoma, the most common type of urethral cancer, starts in the thin, flat cells in the part of the urethra.
- Transitional cell carcinoma starts in the area near the urethral opening in women, and in men, it starts in the part of the urethra that goes through the prostate gland.
- Adenocarcinoma starts in the glands that are around the urethra.
What are the causes of urethral cancer?
Sexually transmitted diseases are one risk factor that can put people at a higher risk of developing urethral cancer. Repeated urinary tract infections (UTIs) and HPV infections are also risk factors for developing urethral cancer. It also occurs in older people who have had bladder cancer.
What are the symptoms of urethral cancer?
The most common symptoms may include the following:
- Trouble to urinate
- Weak flow of urine
- Frequent urination
- Bleeding from the urethra or blood in the urine
- A lump in the penis
- A painless lump or swelling in the groin.
What can be done?
If you have the symptoms, you should consult a doctor right away. You will have a physical examination for the urologist to help diagnose urethral cancer.
If the diagnosis is confirmed. And if the urethral cancer is present, there will be more tests to be done to determine the size of the cancer and if it has already spread the area.
Urethral cancer treatment includes surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.
Desert Sky Urology offers exceptional urologic care to both men and women in Chandler, Gilbert, and Phoenix Arizona. For urethral cancer treatment call us today.
Professional & Friendly Staff
Same Day Appointments
See if We are in Your Network
Your Health Starts Here
Flexible appointments and urgent care.
Or call — 480 933 5557